Phil’s Last Two Munros – September 2010
After around ten years of patiently bagging Munros (predominantly in the Winter season), i finally had just Sgurr Nan Gillian and Ben More left, and i didn’t want to do Gillian in winter!
So we went up at August Bank Holiday and gave ourselves a whole week (in case of bad weather) before we’d arranged to meet some friends on Mull to do Ben More.
The weather couldn’t have been better, allowing us to do the following ridge fest;
- Sgurr Alasdair (992m) NG450207 (as it was a bit too windy to risk anything harder)
- Sgurr nan Gillean (964m) NG471252 (my penultimate Munro)
- Am Basteir (934m) NG465253 and Bruach na Frithe (958m) NG460251
- Carn Mor Dearg Arete (1220m) NN177721 and Ben Nevis (1344m) NN166712
- The Ring of Steall: Sgurr a’Mhaim (1099m) NN164667 , Am Bodach (1032m) NN176650 , Stob Coire a’Chairn (981m) NN185660 and An Gearanach (982m) NN187669
- A day off looking around Cruachan Power Station cos we we had caught Cath’s Cold, and didn’t have enough time to do the Aonach Eagach before the ferry to Mull left.
- Ben More (966m) NM525330 (my last Munro – in 50mph gale force winds)
So now i’m looking forward to revisiting some of the better Munros as i join Heather, Helen, Roger & Harvey in finishing theirs off. Hopefully also getting up a few more Grade 1 winter gullies, and maybe… just maybe doing the odd Corbet too. i’m sure just the odd one, once in a while, won’t lead to any serious addiction problems – will it?
Author: Phil Newby