Chamonix to Zermatt Haute Route 2005
We set of doing the Glacier Haute Route as a group of 4;
- DAY1: to Refuge Albert Premier via flights to Geneva.
- DAY2: Tete Blanche (3500) via Glacier du Tour, and a steep 27m overhanging ice abseil on to the Glacier du Trient. Finally to Cabane du Trient
- DAY3: To Cabane de Saleina via Trient Glacier, Fenetre du Tour and Glacier de Saleina
- DAY4: To La Lechere, above La Fouly
- DAY5: To Bourg-St-Pierre via Col des Planardes; big thunderstorms!
Then we downgraded to the Walkers Haute Route for the rest of the trip as one of our group had to retire with bad knees;
- DAY8: To Cabane des Dix (possibly my favourite hut)
- DAY9: To Les Hauderes via a scarey ladder up Pas de Chevres, and via Lac Bleu
- DAY10: To Cabane De Moiry via col de Torrent and another big thunderstorm!
- DAY11: To Zinal via col de Sorebois
- DAY12: To Gruben Meiden & Hotel Schwartzhorn via col de Forcletta
- DAY13: To St Niklaus via Augstbordpass
- DAY TRIP: Day out to Zermatt and the Hornli Hut on the Matterhorn (3260m)
Author: Phil Newby