Paramo Waterproof Kit
For winter walking & Mountaineering i don’t think you can beat Paramo’s waterproof kit. Is exceptionally breathable and warm too. I found some of the older models a bit on the heavy side if they were spending more time in the rucksack than on, but the recent Velez Adventure range is so much lighter and so i just can’t find anything to grumble about.
I use the Men’s Paramo Velez Adventure Light Smock (red/grey) and the Velez trousers in the same lightweight material.
These new trousers are particularly great as previously i owned paramo over-trousers but never needed to wear anything under them as they were lovely and warm – but the cut was very generous as they were over-trousers. These new Velez trousers are designed to be warn as trousers which is so much better for me.
Manufacturers Technical Spec – Velez Adventure Light Smock
- Average weight 584g
- Fully articulated shoulders and elbows for maximum freedom of movement and optimum fit.
- Two-way twin reversed zip design with inner, poppered baffles for maximum temperature control.
- Cropped front for maximum freedom of movement.
- Drop tail for maximum protection with draw-cord.
- High collar with central, single-hand adjustment to prevent wind, rain and snow entering the neck area.
- Reflective piping (front and back) for maximum visibility.
- Easy adjust velcro cuffs with bite tab, cuffs can be rolled up for temperature control.
- Double-layer lining either side of spine and on shoulders, for technical rucksack use.
- Excellent field of vision and protection provided by fixed hood – fully adjustable, wired and roll-away.
- Single hand adjustment throughout.
- Nikwax Analogy Light fabric performance guaranteed.
- 1 large ‘dry’ zipped front pocket for OS maps, snacks, compass, etc.
- 1 Inner ‘dry’, zipped pocket for storage and hand-warming – fits OS map.
Manufacturers Technical Spec – Velez Adventure Trousers
- Average weight 414g
- Unrestricted leg movement with minimal weight due to knee articulation.
- Comfortable and adjustable fit provided by elasticated waist secured by a belt.
- Zip fly with popper at top.
- Full weather protection, but with easy and rapid temperature adjustment provided by long thigh vents with internal storm flaps.
- Ankle adjustment with hook and loop fastening – ideal for multi-activity use.
- Handwarming and storage from two external hip pockets with zip closure.
Author: Phil Newby